Thursday, July 05, 2007

Greens and corn mash

This was quite tastey..it is an African dish.

I started by frying up a little bacon. I chose a cut that was mostly meat and cut off some of the thick fat. This bacon does not have any nitrates or perservatives in it.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I added a can of black eyed peas to the bacon when it was just about done and warmed the beans up. That was served on top of my greens and corn mash.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This garlic and onion I put in a big pot and sauteed for a few minutes with just a little olive oil. Then I added fresh yummy rainbow chard from the local farmers market. I added a couple of cups of water (you can add broth if you have it). Then stired those and cooked them on medium for 5-10 min. Then I added a cup of corn meal to the top of the dish. I did not stir but rather turned up the heat to a slight boil and covered the dish for 10 minutes. Then I opened it up and stired and cooked (lowering the heat to a simmer) until the greens and corn mash were cooked through. You might need to add more water as you cook.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This tastes WAY better than it looks. I am not a big fan of greens so I like to sneak them into dishes so they taste yummy.

No comments: